When the colder, windier weather starts to arrive and heating is used more frequently, it plays havoc with our skin. For babies this weather change can be far more irritating and drying, this is because a baby has extremely sensitive skin, which is also slightly thinner than ours. This means protecting their skin is very important throughout the year and especially through the winter months.
Tips to keep your baby’s skin soft and smooth:
• The temperature changes going from a heated house to the cold, windy outside air, causes the skin to dry out much faster than other times. The key to limiting your baby’s moisture loss is to dress for the temperature. Coats, scarves, hats and gloves can be put on as you’re about to leave and taken off once in a warm environment
• Dressing your baby in easily removable layers also helps prevent over heating, or getting too cold. Heat rash is common in winter as well as summer, this is due to the heat in our homes and the extra layers they wear
• Using a sun protection in winter is important, even though the sun may not always be shining, the harsh UV rays can still affect their skin. Using a high protection sun lotion on your baby’s face, and any other area exposed, will keep their skin protected. Bepanthen Baby Sun Cream is gentle enough for your baby’s sensitive skin, but highly protective against UV rays
• Cotton clothing is extremely gentle on a babys delicate skin and is also breathable
• Using a gentle laundry detergent and fabric softener, one suitable for children, helps prevent their skin becoming irritated and possible rashes appearing. Not switching brands unless necessary is also advisable
• Bath time, although splashing in water is fun for our little ones, it’s also very drying on the skin. Using a light layer of gentle moisturiser such as Bepanthen Baby Moisturiser, can help keep that moisture locked in and their skin soft and kissable.
Bepanthen Product Range
All products are available from Boots, Asda and Tesco (Baby Sun Cream is only currently available in Boots)
• Baby Moisturiser RRP £5.99
• Sun Cream RRP £9.99
• Stretch Mark Cream RRP £24.99
• Nappy Care Ointment is available in three sizes:
– 30g RRP £3.99
– 50g RRP £5.99
– 100g RRP £7.99
For more information on Bepanthen products and helpful tips to caring for your baby’s skin, please visit their website at: www.bepanthen.co.uk
Looking after your baby’s skin with Bepanthen Baby Moisturiser
Who doesn’t love the softness of a baby’s skin? Skin so soft and beautiful, you could kiss and cuddle all day. That softness is something that you’ll want to keep and nurture for as long as possible
Ensuring their skin is moisturised is one step to keeping that smoothness. There are plenty of moisturisers available to buy, for a baby you will need something mild, without harsh chemicals but still effective.
Bepanthen have designed their moisturiser specifically for babies. Understanding that a babys skin is much more delicate than ours, thinner and more sensitive. Even though their moisturiser is incredibly mild, it is still deeply moisturising. Caring for newborn skin, sensitive skin, common skincare problems and easily irritated skin. Bepanthen Baby Moisturiser is suitable from birth, so have it handy in the nursery. Or because of its portable shape and size, it’s also perfect for changing bags, rather than large tubs.
Key features of Bepanthen Baby Moisturiser
• Contains vitamin B5, a deeply nourishing ingredient
• Free from any harsh chemicals and perfumes which can be harmful on your delicate baby’s skin
When we used Bepanthen Baby Moisturiser
It really does deliver all of the promises above. Both of my children’s skin have been kept soft and supple.
Both children have recently suffered colds and runny noses. Wipes their noses really irritated their sensitive skin, using Bepanthen Baby Moisturiser, it helped relieve the soreness of their noses and replenish the moisture lost. The colds also meant they breathed through their mouths instead of their blocked noses, leaving their lips sore and chapped. I used vaseline on their lips as a barrier during the day and moisturised their faces in the evening. Luckily their lips didn’t stay chapped for long.
Our son also suffers with eczema, the weather change and central heating switch on has exaggerated the dryness of his skin. We have tried almost every cream on offer to help relieve his symptoms. In the evenings we use an extremely thick ointment, which isn’t suitable for the day. However, Bepanthen Baby Moisturiser absorbs easily into the skin, to keep his skin moisturised whenever needed throughout the day.
Our baby has very soft skin, something we want to look after, so she’s always soft as a babys bum. We only moisturise her once a day to help keep her skin soft and smooth. This time is always after their bath. Bathtimes can be really drying on a babys skin, so it’s important to moisturise right after. Her skin is still just as soft since using Bepanthen Baby Moisturiser and because it’s so easily absorbed, there’s no greasy residue after.
It’s also nice for us also parents to know we are giving our children the best care for their skin, by applying a gentle moisturiser, without any nasties hidden inside.
Tips from Bepanthen to protect your baby from nappy rash:
• Changing nappies regularly stops wee being in contact with their delicate skin. For reusable nappies, a disposable liner could be used
• Let your baby have plenty of nappy free time. As long as the room is warm, letting the air get to their skin can really benefit their bums. Just be prepared for any possible leaks!
• Clean your baby’s bum thoroughly at each nappy change, and let the area dry before putting a clean nappy back on
• Using a protective ointment, like Bepanthen Nappy Care Ointment, at each nappy change, creates a barrier against any wee or poo
• Washing reusable nappies can prevent any irritation to their sensitive bums and washing them on a boil wash helps kill any nasty bugs
Causes of nappy rash
Nappy rash is caused by your baby’s delicate and sensitive skin becoming irritated, due to being in contact with the chemicals in wee and poo. This is then made worse when babys bums are kept in tight nappies that rubs against their skin and without any air circulating.
Protecting your baby’s bum with Bepanthen Nappy Care Ointment
‘Soft as a babys bum’ is a common saying and it describes perfectly how soft a babys bum really is. So to ensure we keep their bums this soft, we need to protect them.
To protect your baby’s bum from the causes of nappy rash, you need an ointment that is gentle, with nourishing qualities and to be a protective barrier.
Bepanthen Nappy Care Ointment cares for babys bums and protects them from any irritation which can cause nappy rash. The ointment is mild enough to be used at every nappy change, aids any rash with the pro-vitamin B5, protective and breathable.
Users of Bepanthen requested the packaging to be a little more user friendly, and they listened! Since May 2015 Bepanthen Nappy Care Ointment has been redesigned with a flip-top cap. This now means changing nappies and protecting bums is that much easier, with one-handed application (while the other is holding those wriggly legs back).
Key features of Bepanthen Nappy Care Ointment:
• Aids natural skin recovery with pro-vitamin B5. This helps keep your baby’s bum soft while helping the natural recovery of your baby’s skin
• Seals in the skins natural moisture, without drying your baby’s sensitive skin
• Creates a transparent layer of protection against any wee or poo that may be in their nappy. Helping prevent their delicate skin from becoming irritated
• The water-in-oil formulation helps keep your baby’s skin healthy and hydrated, maintaining it’s natural protective barrier
When we used Bepanthen Nappy Care Ointment
I found the ointment extremely easy to use, thanks to their new flip-top cap. It’s a smooth, mess free ointment and nice to apply, their bums weren’t covered in a large white mess either, due to the transparency of the ointment.
Both of our children suffered with a little nappy rash whilst they had their colds. Bepanthen Nappy Care Ointment kept the nappy rash under control and their bums protected until it thankfully went away a few days later.
I’d recommend both products to parents with newborns, babies and toddlers. They’re very affordable, mild and effective and great products to use!