When you have a roast dinner or a meal with plenty of leftovers, it’d always be a shame (and a waste) to throw it away. Here’s a quick and easy way to use up any leftover chicken, veg and gravy. Turning yesterdays meal into a quick, easy and tasty Chicken and Vegetable pie for tonight. Even our fussy toddler enjoyed this meal (finishing his and mine). Can we also say it’s healthy?
- Leftover chicken
- Leftover veg (the veg additions can be anything you fancy adding, like carrots, peas, swede, parsnips, sprouts etc – even if they’re not leftovers)
- Leftover gravy (or make up around 200ml of your own)
- Shortcrust pastry (enough to cover your pie dish)
- A splash of milk or 1 beaten egg (egg will give the pastry a shiny glaze)
- Serve with any leftover roast potatoes or Yorkshire puddings (roasted alongside your pie or mashed)
- Preheat the oven to 200°c
- Put the chicken, vegetables and gravy into an ovenproof pie dish (making sure it’s mixed together, so no-one is served one section of just veg)
- Cover the dish with the shortcrust pastry
- Glaze the pastry with the egg or milk
- Cook in the oven for 30-40 minutes, or until the pie filling is piping hot and the pastry is crisp
It’s as easy as that!
This post has been shared on: