Our Trip to Legoland Brought me to Tears

For Mr Firstooths’ birthday he asked that his gift would be for us to go to Legoland as a family. Because he’s a sweetheart. So we booked the tickets and the hotel, then waited for those days to slowly creep us on us.

This whole time I was nervous about the overnight stay, thinking Legoland wouldn’t be a letdown whatsoever. Because it’s a land of Lego, who could be disappointed with that. The night stay in the hotel however, could have been incredibly disappointing for our children. No space to play, only a few small toys that fit into the bag, no cupboard to raid, nobody shouts when juice is spilled and there was nothing to set fire to.

I will go into the overnight stay, there’s plenty to talk about there, enough for a whole separate post.

Our first day in the park was absolutely brilliant. It was a Friday so we managed to zip round the rides, wander casually around the park with out energetic babes. It was the perfect day at Legoland. This set the bar high for our second day.


So much fun, a man photobombed our special moment. Looked at the camera and everything.

Day two we rocked up with puffy tired eyes, children that woke up at 4am, with an almost bi-polar style personality and we arrived late, like 2 minutes after the park opened late. So that meant our car had to be left in the very far corner. Leaving us with a mile hike to the entrance, with our batty kids and bags filled with various items.

We swore we’d hire a stroller on this day, because although the day before went smoothly, we could have done with something to ditch the kids in when they refused to walk and our hips ached from carrying them. The stroller would mostly be for our daughter, she’s the youngest, with the smallest legs. So it made sense to us. Although once we started moving, her brother turfed her out, because he wants what she has. At all times.

We got a ride on the train to the bottom and headed straight to Miniland. The kids were fascinated by the tiny Lego towns the day before. We assumed this would stabilise their erratic mood. We were wrong. One child wanted to fly the NASA space rocket and did all he could to climb in there. While the other wanted to swim, in the murky green water of Sweden. Fantastic.


No pictures were taken on Day 2. Only Day 1.

‘Lets head to Duploland’, we thought. It’s right next door. ‘They’ll LOVE it’. It may have only been a few yards to walk but it was too much for our toddler beasts. Leading to a few yards of:

  • Pick them up, put them down

  • In the stroller, out the stroller

  • Standing still, have a strop

  • Notice a pigeon

  • Picking a lolly stick off the floor

  • Racing at high speeds down the hill, then whingeing because they want to do it again

– Having heart palpitations as they head for the Splash Zone

  • Tears when they were diverted away from the Splash Zone. To a dry ride

Then we were there. Stood outside a ride they could go on, enjoy, and be silent. Only they couldn’t both go on it. Obviously. Little legs was far too short. Lucky for me it was Mr Firstooth who had the job of entertaining and convincing her, the ride her brother and mummy were on wasn’t fun anyway.

It was fun. My boy drove his own helicopter, up and down, round and round and round and round and round. If you’ve been to Legoland, you know what ride I’m talking about. It was so fun he didn’t want to get off. I pried his tiny fingers from the bar and ran, as fast as I could, nearly being kicked in the head because I carried him in an awkward position.

The next ride we could all go on. But our boy decided he didn’t want his sister to join us. He just didn’t want her to go on it. But through all of his whining, he didn’t realise we were sneakily maneuvering him towards the magical boat, and before he knew it we were strapped in and moving. It was a boat ride through a valley of Lego fairytale characters. Thrilling.

We strolled round the the show area, sweating with our luggage and children all attached to our bodies somewhere, and don’t forget that sodding stroller we had to push everywhere. Which nobody wanted to sit in anyway. Unless the other was already in there.

We sat, up at the show area and I let off my sweaty steam by guzzling water (wish it was wine) and sitting, trying to keep our baby beasts contained by the fence. Then the show started.

Five extraordinarily happy girls appeared, running around the stage, dancing and miming along to music which made our toddlers do their weird toddler dances. A bop here and a wiggle there. I have no idea what the show was about, but I couldn’t stop watching it. It was one of those things I didn’t want to watch, really not my bag, but I couldn’t stop. I did have a pained and puzzled expression on my face throughout their performance. But the kids were mesmerized and didn’t moan once. Bliss.

Then it ended.

The next three rides we couldn’t go on because there was a 60 minute wait. Have you ever stood in line for only 20 minutes with 2 toddlers . There’s crying, laying and touching strangers. It’s awkward. Imagine that for three times as long, I’d want to gauge my eyes out. Especially considering the rides we were waiting for lasted around three minutes. Tops.



p style=”text-align: center;”>Another pic from Day 1. Not Day 2.

We headed to the little fairground rides instead. Which again, my small one still didn’t meet the height requirements. Instead, she decided to climb benches, rummage through bins and eat leaves.

I must have screamed “NO” a thousand times that day.

At first I almost escaped our girls’ toddler terrorism, because our boy wanted me to go on a ride with him. Only, just as we were at the front of the queue, he decided he actually wanted daddy to go on with him. ‘You are joking’, I screamed in my head. But I said “OK. Fine. That’s fine. That’s FINE”, through my teeth as I walked, well, marched him to Mr Firstooth. I took over watching our girl go from crying to laughing in a matter of seconds. This brought me to tears.

I had climaxed our second day to be just as fun as our first day, but the reality was that because none of us had much seep the previous night and we were up for the day at 4am (by force not choice), everything was overwhelming. The entire day just seemed difficult and I couldn’t wait to leave. The kids, in all honesty, couldn’t wait to leave either. They’d had enough and were desperate for a nap, but it all felt like such a waste of time, effort and money to just leave.

But it really was a waste of energy to force us all to stay while we were doing so through gritted teeth.

We stayed for as long as we could, I walked around for half the day smiling with tears streaming down my face. All very dramatic. We dragged out their whingeing, tantrums, with an intermittent bout of happy squeals for as long as possible before both admitting we wanted to leave.

We were all so disappointed, but how could we not have been with our expectations being so high.

We said to our baby beasts that because they’ve been so good today, we will go into the shop and they can choose a toy each. After my handsy girl knocked a bunch of boxes off the shelf and took everything within reach off the shelf, we left with nothing more than a tiny Lego figure each. Which they actually found at the entrance.

I’m debating whether to do a breakdown of Day 1 at Legoland, because if it’s planned and done with more than a few hours sleep, then it really is a fantastic day. It was only our tiredness and lack of organization that ruined Day 2. I think we should have booked the tickets for one day and then perhaps visited Windsor Castle on Day 2, so at least they’d have had the opportunity to roam and have a little more freedom. Which helps when toddlers are behaving beastly.

Keep an eye out for our overnight stay, coming soon…

For more bluntly honest parenting posts and our life as a family then join us on Facebook

This post has been shared on:
Whatever the weather
Blogger Club UK
Best and Worst

Share this post:


  1. June 1, 2016 / 6:54 am

    Well I’m glad day 1 was better as yeah day 2 does not sound fun! Lack of sleep with 2 toddlers is never fun no matter where you are but I admire your perseverance. I kind of want to go to lego land with the littlest but fear a day like this as LM will be too little for most of the rides too xx #whatevertheweather

  2. June 1, 2016 / 7:06 am

    I’ve just posted on All the Beautiful Things post about Legoland too. The eldest is 8 and never been so think we’ll venture there this summer. #bestandworst

  3. June 1, 2016 / 7:22 am

    Oh no I can understand your frustrations especially when day one had gone so well. It is always the way, your fork out a small fortune and then it’s not what you hoped for. I look forward to reading about your hotel stay. #whatevertheweather

  4. June 1, 2016 / 9:13 am

    Tired children are more of a nightmare at places like that!
    I was lucky that my son was v tall at 19 months and got through first height restriction – not sure he was too impressed as looked prettified on some rides!

  5. June 1, 2016 / 3:50 pm

    Sound like it was one of those ‘challenging’ days where you come home hoarse from calling out to the kids, or is that just me…no I doubt it. These big days out sound really good and can be but sometimes lifes just not like that. I think your post is really good and honest and gave me a good insight into legoland:) I want to read the overnight stay one!;) x



  6. June 1, 2016 / 8:10 pm

    You know when you stand on a rouge piece of Lego and the pain is so intense you just sob for hours? Sweetie that sounds exactly how your 2nd day went. But pat yourself on the back, you survived it, tears or no tears. If there was an academy award for dragging 2 gremlins, bags, a stroller and yourself around a land full of potential feet damagers, you would win best Mum.

    Renee @Peonieandme #bestandworst

    • firstooth
      June 4, 2016 / 8:21 am

      Yes that was our day. We lived a day of treading on lego. We made it through by the skin of our teeth

  7. June 2, 2016 / 10:30 am

    Oh bless you!!! We went on Sat 21st and surprisingly it wasn’t overly busy so we never had to wait that long for rides. I am really interested to read about your overnight stay as I’m looking into booking an overnight stay in the hotel as Alfie really wants to. It can be really stressful with toddlers though without a doubt! Look forward to reading about your stay and thanks for linking up #bestandworst

    • firstooth
      June 4, 2016 / 8:19 am

      It was the Egypt tomb ride that had an hour queue and a couple of water rides. We were surprised that the rest of the park wasn’t as busy as we’d thought. My tip for an over night stay would be to make their bedtime much later and just go with the flow. If you’re using a travel cot then pop a blanket under their mattress so yours doesn’t wake on the hour every hour like my little dot did x

  8. June 2, 2016 / 10:44 pm

    I’m glad day 1 was better than day 2 for you, little to no sleep and tired toddlers are hard enough on a normal day so I can only imagine what that must have been like combined with a day at Legoland. I’m super intrigued to read about your overnight stay now!! #whatevertheweather x

    • firstooth
      June 4, 2016 / 8:15 am

      Tired toddlers are never happy toddlers and it’s always our fault. I just need to be grateful that our first day went so well otherwise we’d never return x

  9. June 5, 2016 / 8:26 am

    I think even though the 2nd day was hard I think you still probably enjoyed it! I’ve not been to Lego land or own a small child that plays with Lego. I’m sure this will all change! Thanks for sharing with #sbrandnewday

    • firstooth
      June 6, 2016 / 7:08 am

      It’ll come one day I bet! You’ll have the pleasures too lol

  10. June 5, 2016 / 5:03 pm

    A few years ago we decided to take 3 teenagers, a 2 year old, a 1 year old, and an infant to an amusement park. And I lived to tell about it. Three in diapers was a story in itself. We decided that we will wait until our youngest is 5 before we ever go again. #bloggerclubuk

    • firstooth
      June 6, 2016 / 7:13 am

      At least 5! You survived that’s the main thing!

  11. June 5, 2016 / 5:52 pm

    Sounds like an absolute nightmare! I’m glad you all enjoyed the first day though 🙂
    Thanks for linking up to #BloggerClubUK 🙂

    • firstooth
      June 6, 2016 / 7:14 am

      It made us rethink a few parenting decisions!

  12. June 8, 2016 / 8:34 am

    Oh bless you!! It is so frustrating when queues are long and you have toddlers to entertain. If it is any comfort, we have all been there xxx

    • firstooth
      June 10, 2016 / 4:45 pm

      I know I feel bad for everyone else who goes through it too. We all have the best intentions xxx

  13. June 13, 2016 / 10:52 pm

    Oh I feel for you, we often have those days with lack of sleep and tired, tired children. It doesn’t help when I have a grumpy tired husband too and then I have 3 boys to deal with instead of the two! At least the first day went well! Thanks for linking up to #Whatevertheweather x

  14. July 12, 2016 / 12:55 pm

    Really sorry to hear your experience at Legoland wasn’t fun as it could be. I had heard from other parents that there’s not loads for littler ones to do so I waited until the other week when my shorter-than-average 3 year old daughter finally came in above the 90cm height restriction, meaning she could go on more rides. I’m a stay at home dad and Legoland is relatively local so I bought the preschool annual pass and went on a weekday. There was next to no queueing despite the school groups. I’ve written a post about it recently if you’re interested. Maybe something to try again when yours are a bit bigger.

    • firstooth
      July 14, 2016 / 11:58 am

      Our first day really was lovely but I think they were overwhelmed by the second day and it was much busier. You’re right about going midweek, the queues are so much shorter it’s lovely. We’ll give it another go I think but probably just for the day so nobody get upset! So lucky to live nearby

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *